Acetylcarnitine is an amino acid that is naturally produced in the body. Acetylcarnitine helps the body to harvest energy by oxidizing the organic compounds like glucose. It is present in small amounts in almost all the commonly consumed foods but higher amounts are present in the organ meals like Heart, kidneys and liver of all the mammals. Deficiency of the substance has been noticed in a large proportion of average normal adults all over the world. The deficiency can lead to a number of disorders and complications and hence the substance is advised as a dietary supplement.
As the substance acetylcarnitine occurs naturally in a number of foods, it was never needed to be taken separately but in the early 20th century cases were reported in which symptoms suggested the lack of energy in people having a healthy diet. It was then when the researchers came to know that the deficiency of this substance can occur in normal people leading to complexities. Since then it is being prescribed as a dietary supplement.
Mode of Action
The body gets its energy from glucose but glucose is not a useable energy source as it is. To convert it into useful energy, the body has to pass it through a number of complex reactions to convert it into ATP. Acetyl-L-Carnitine is one of the many coenzymes aiding the body successfully completing this conversion. As the brain needs high amounts of energy to function properly, the deficiency of this substance in the body can lead to malfunction of the brain and even cause irreversible damage to certain parts of the brain.
The effects of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, when used as a dietary supplement, are most evident in the brain and nervous system. The effects of the supplement include but are not limited to:
- It improves the memory of the brain, especially in elderly people.
- People using excessive abusive amounts of alcohol in their 30’s to 60’s have reported a great improvement in the memory and thinking power after using the supplement.
- It helps eradicate the possibility of developing of nerve pains in the people with diabetes. Diabetics have a higher risk of developing nerve disorders and this can be overcome by using this supplement as it aids the body to maintain a neutral energy level.
- It strengthens the connective tissues, especially in the males. The connective tissues include the tendons and ligaments which are important for the proper functioning of the skeletal system.
- It helps clean the inflammatory substances from the male reproductive system which can lead to infertility in males.
- It decreases the possibility of having a stroke by improving the flow of blood to the brain. Increased blood flow to the brain also helps improve memory and thinking power.
- It reduces the possibility of having Alzheimer’s disease and other problems leading to loss of motor power and dementia.
The supplement has been marked safe for all people except the ones having known allergies to it. No upper limit of the dose has been determined as overdose has not caused any problems.